Sunday, April 14, 2013

Public Speaking II: The Returning Nightmare

In January I wrote about how I was expected to give a ten-minute presentation as part of my course. In the article I also revealed the outcome of that day, much of which was spent in a store cupboard having ran away.

As if a sequel to that soul-destroying event, lo and behold this term I face yet another upcoming presentation day that can only be called "The Returning Nightmare".

From before I can remember 'Public Speaking' has always been a scary proposition as an Emetophobia sufferer, the thought of standing in front of a crowd of people tormenting for someone who believes, in those situations at least, that they are seconds from throwing up.

After all with stage freight symptoms including anything from a dry-mouth, sweating, nausea to even vomiting itself, is there any wonder I fear the day so much?

Aside from opting to be the first Speaker of the day (which means you don't have to sit through others presenting knowing in full panic your Speaking slot is fast approaching) I've never found a coping mechanism - yet having recently started the Emetophobia Recovery System I'm hoping that I'll be able to control my anxiety more than I have done previously.

I'll let you all know how I got on after the presentation day is over, here's hoping it goes well!
What are your Public Speaking stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment